M1ha

Ontdekker
  • 5Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes

whatapp + Vodafone

Hello, I have a problem. Recently I have switched to Vodafone Network and immediately realise, that I have a problem with Whatsapp application - PUSH Notifications Delay. With a WIFI network or another Sim card I don't have such problem. I tried to reboot phone, set APN manually, make hard reset, and use another mobile device. Nothing helps. On the same time Viber and Skype work perfectly.

PS battery save mode switched off, what sup has permission to work in background mode always; there is no any other tools for battery optimization. I tried on the different devices with different whatsapp accounts and different couriers (KPN, Lebara), and I am almost sure, that something goes wrong with Vodafone Network or wrong configuration (I tried APN live.vodafone.com, and autocofiguration).

PUSH notifications delay ~5-10 minutes. Mobile devises - Lumia 820 / Lumia 735
Whatsapp is up to date (just after hard reset).
12 Reacties 12
Jackie
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 686Posts
  • 21Oplossingen
  • 63Likes
Hi M1ha , welcome to our Forum! I see nobody has responded to your question yet. If I understand correctly, you're experiencing problems with the push-messages from Whatsapp. It looks like you've already tested a lot, that's great! There are no known problems with Whatsapp's push notifications in combination with the Vodafone network. You say you've already tested this on different devices and with different Whatsapp accounts. Did you experience the same problem every time? Have you tried completely removing Whatsapp from your phone, and then installing it again?

Can you check your Whatsapp settings? I've roughly translated them from my Dutch settings, so they could be slightly different in your app. Go to settings (instellingen) -> Notifications (meldingen) -> Click on Notifications (Meldingen) -> Check if this option is set to "always display notifications" and not to "display notifications when screen is turned off/on".

Will you let us know if these suggestions have helped with receiving the push notifications?
M1ha
topicstarter
Ontdekker
  • 5Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes
Hi, thank you for your answer. Yes, i tried to remove app and reinstall it again.
yes, i also checked all possible notification settings (both for app and OS). Unfortunattely without success.

What i realize:

1) Even when I am using WIFI connection, i don't have notification (with active Vodafone sim card)
2) When i physically remove Vodafone sim card, Whatsapp start working fine (with only WIFI connection)
3) When i use another sim card with this phone and whatsapp account, whatsapp works fine (with the same settings, so i just changed Vodafone sim card to KPN or Lebara) both with WiFi Active/non active.

So i believe that something goes wrong with Vodafone settings on my phone. For me there are two things quate strange:
1) data tried to pass via GSM even with strong wifi connection (just to be sure, i switched off option which is allows to use GSM in case of poor WiFi Signal)
2) No (or with 10/15 minutes delay) notifications about new messages from whatsapp (in the same time Viber, Skype, Facebook messanger work fine).

I already tried all Whatsapp recommendations (remove live icon, add a keyboard language, switch on Battery saver and off. Switch Off whatsapp notifications and return back to ON. Reinstall whatsapp). I don't have any additional software on my phone. And as i said, i tried two different devices. So i don't have other

PS I am using Nokia Lumia 735, Lumia 820, and Windows 8.1 update 2 (Lumia Denim)

M1ha
topicstarter
Ontdekker
  • 5Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes
i just tried to switch off Data Connection via GSM with active Vodafone sim card, and Whatsapp start working via WIFI. I tested it within 30 minutes (receiving notifications, and able to send messages via whatsapp web with locked phone). Then after i switched Data Connection - ON - whatsapp stops send PUSH notifications in a couple of minutes.

So definitely that is some how connected to Vodafone settings on my phone. I tried to set up APN manually following guidance on vodafone.nl (set APN as live.vodafone.com), without any success...
Thomas
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 428Posts
  • 21Oplossingen
  • 17Likes
Hi M1ha, I think it is very strange that you only experience these problems using a Vodafone sim card. You say you tried all the things that are listed here? https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/wp/21073483.

If the problem only occurs with a Vodafone sim card I would guess the connection is not strong enough. Reading from the Whatsapp faq: Notifications on Windows Phone require a strong network connection; if your phone has a bad Internet connection or is on the edge/outside of a coverage area, it may take some time before WhatsApp is able to reconnect to your phone and deliver notifications.

Do you experience these problems everywhere or maybe just on certain locations? (is the connection on these locations strong?)
M1ha
topicstarter
Ontdekker
  • 5Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes
Hi Thomas,

I just run speed test, and it is OK. 84mb Inbound / 8 mb outbound. The overall signal is very strong (4/5). When I Switch On Data connection, whatsapp works first couple of minutes without any delay. After that the delay starts. I can proof these delays, because i am using WEB Whatsapp, and i got notification from web client, that Phone is not connected (Make sure, that your phone has active internet connection) from time to time.

Well, i believe that the core problem somewhere in-between my device and Sim card. What i think is very strange, is that Data Connection (GSM) has more priority then WiFi Connection. I think, that the problem could be somewhere here. From my point of view it is not logical and quite strange. Somehow GSM has a priority for PUSH notifications and blocked traffic via WiFi. It looks like that GSM still using to establish the connection to the server, and then traffic passed via WiFi. I am not an expert, but that is the only reason, how i can explain such kind of behavior (when the phone has active Data (GSM) connection and Active WiFi - i have delays, when I switch of GSM connection, i don't have delays). But in any case it doesn't solve the core problem - with Data Connection (GSM) only (WiFi - off) i still have delays....... very strange....

so it could be:

1) APN settings of Vodafone
2) Physical SIM card issue
3) Specific settings for my number on Vodafone side
4) Windows 8.1 issue

Can it be due to Sim card issue?
Anonymous
Niet van toepassing
What happends if you install the app instead of using the web version?
Nadia
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 730Posts
  • 20Oplossingen
  • 70Likes
have you been able to resolve the issue? Have you tried a new sim card yet?
Jackie
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 686Posts
  • 21Oplossingen
  • 63Likes
M1ha , we haven't heard from you since our last message. Were you able to solve the problem yet? If we won't receive a response, we'll close this topic after 48 hours. You won't be able to respond to it anymore after it's closed. We hope you no longer experience problems with your Whatsapp push-messages.
M1ha
topicstarter
Ontdekker
  • 5Posts
  • 0Oplossingen
  • 0Likes
I am using the app + web client. Actually that is the way, how can I realise, that i have a problem with receiving notifications:
1) I lunch whatsapp on my phone.
2) I login to web client (web.whatsapp.com)
3) Start using web client.
4) Since the phone going to standby mode i got an error "problems with connection" from web client.
5) After couple of retries web client reaches the phone and send/received notifications.
6) Web client always reaches the phone when i am inside the app on the phone.
7) Just after phone going to sleep, the connection stopped and start working in bulk mode (smth. like send/recieved messages once per 10 minutes).

I can't change the sim card right now, because it is corporate sim and it is complicated process.......
Anonymous
Niet van toepassing
What you can try is empty the cashe from whatsapp or do a factory reset, but don't forget to back-up whatsapp, your Photo's etc.
Desiree-

Raadgever
  • 397Posts
  • 12Oplossingen
  • 53Likes
Hi , did the tips which gave you work?
Jackie
Oud Community Moderator
Oud Community Moderator
  • 686Posts
  • 21Oplossingen
  • 63Likes
M1ha , if the tips Steven- still haven't worked, I suggest you take your phone to a Vodafone store and have them look into it with you. There are still no known issues with Whatsapp push messages in combination with the Vodafone network. Maybe they can figure out what's going wrong by looking into the phone with you.
E-mail notificaties
Aan Uit

Ontvang een update bij nieuwe reacties in dit topic.

Uitgelicht topic